Search This Blog

Sunday 11 November 2012

Darker Sides Beauty


(I took this at Dairy Farm on my phone)
The sound of the jungle
creates its own music.
The whispers of the trees
define each note.


The melody of the jungle
speaks to me.
The humming of the tropical birds
complement the steady hiss
of the diamond headed snake.

The harmony comes from a much deeper part.
The roar of the lion completes
the single flap of a butterfly’s wings.
The motion is so silent,
I can hear a single drop of water
falling from a leaf’s edge.

By Sam Coutts


I wrote this poem whilst I was at dairy farm at the G.I.N. conference. We were told to take the 15 minutes to sit in the jungle, and just write, draw, and create whatever we wanted. Some choose  to lay down and listen to the sounds of the jungle, some drew what they could see. I choose to write a poem. This poem just came to me. I sat and listened to the sounds around me, and stared at the scenery around me. Inspiration can be anywhere, even in the least obvious places. After writing it at dairy farm, I took it back and made it better.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting poem. I feel you've captured the musical aspect of the jungle. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liam! Im glad you noticed that.

      Sammie <3

      Delete
  2. I love this poem. You put an image in my head of the forest and the animals, I enjoyed this poem, you captured the musicality of the jungle very well. :)
    - Georgina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Georgina :)

      Sammie <3

      Delete